Northeastern University Solar Decathlon is an interdisciplinary team working to design and construct sustainable buildings in and around Boston. Affiliated with the U.S. DOE Solar Decathlon® Competition, we carry high standards to create net-zero solar buildings fit to serve the regional issues and housing stock needs of our surrounding communities.
Our team is broken down into six subgroups that work collaboratively to create a complete, cohesive design. The subgroups are open for anyone to join, and no prior experience is required for any of the subgroups. This team is a place where people can explore interest both within and outside of their major, so people are encouraged to join any subgroup that interests them. The subgroups are:
- Business Consulting & Outreach
- Home Automation
- MEP/Energy Systems
- Structural Systems
WHAT TO EXPECT
As a team member, you can expect to do some of the following:
- Complete market analyses to get an idea of community needs
- Gain experience using various design software such as CAD and Revit
- Create mechanical, plumbing, and electrical layouts for the building
- Design foundation, roof, window, door, and wall assemblies to maintain the building’s thermal envelope
- Develop a budget and analyze project CapEx
WHO CAN JOIN
Anyone, regardless of age, experience, or major is welcome to join the team:
- No prior experience in building science or sustainability is required
- No requirements regarding major or area of study
- All years are welcome! Under and upperclassmen work together, and all contributions are invaluable
- Anyone with an interest in any aspect of designing a sustainable building is welcome!
AREAS OF INTEREST
A specific major or area of concentration is not necessary to join the team, but we do have specific need for these areas in particular:
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Landscape Architecture
- Structural Engineering
Interested in joining our Team?
If you have any interest in joining, visit our “Contact Us” page to see how to get in touch and join, or just drop by any general meeting, which are on Tuesday’s at 7:30 PM ET.
Solar Decathlon® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Energy.